Site Admin

Stock Critical Data

Post by west_minist »

Stock 2nd Gear Dyno SAE.png
Stock 2nd Gear Dyno SAE.png (21.77 KiB) Viewed 15110 times
RonH6

v1 Review

Post by RonH6 »

Ed made my car transform with this one step up. The torque of my car is just unfathomable compared to the stock rom. With just a little bit of gas this legacy is ready to jump off the line. I could tell there is some extra punch in the mid range as well. Driving in auto in sport# is really sharp! Car is ready to zooom almost all the time. With more tweaks to come, i can only imagine how my legacy will feel. At this time, its a learning experience for me and the car. (Writing this after driving for 3 hours on and off). Sport# now is really a racing mode. Thanks Ed!
RonH6

V1, V2, V3 REVIEW

Post by RonH6 »

Revisiting ROM V1's improvement, it totally unchained my 3.0 driving style. The throttle response became as quick as ever. As soon as i step on the gas the car wants to sprint. In terms of how my 5EAT operated, it shifted fast and aggressive. I love how it felt because the low end torque kept the car pulling no matter the transition. As i kept giving the car heavy throttle it started to learn to hold the gears in auto. I did notice that at the expense of this extra performance, the car burned noticeably more fuel. But i dont mind (Thats was a racing mode such as S# is for). On mild driving the car was still aggressive, i loved it. The gears changed quick and the car teased you to really give it all it has. In terms of the power, the low end torque was amazing and mid range power was hard.

ROM V2 - With this ROM, my subie took its time to learn how my driving style was. My 5EAT would shuffle the gears depending on what the throttle pressure was. In terms of power, when it was time for me to punch it, the car gallop as sustained. I found myself stepping on the throttle a little harder in auto to get that extra pull that i had felt with V1. The subie's torque was indeed there, but it wanted more pedal to push it. No doubt this version had better fuel economy, and good high end power.

ROM V3 - This was a very noticeable improvement coming from V2. The low end torque and throttle response in which i have received from from V1's versions came in just as hard and aggressive. The car learned my driving style quicker and the 5EAT shifted fast with mild throttle and heavy throttle. The 5EAT would hold the gears after 60% throttle to keep power. The difference in mid to high end power has been noted. Funny enough, fuel consumption seems to be better then V1. So more aggressive than V2, and better Fuel than V1.

Ed is doing an amazing job with my car. He is patient, observant, and tedious to how my car performs. Would recommend him to anyone in a second!
west_minist
Site Admin

v4b 2nd Gear Dyno Results

Post by west_minist »

v4b vs Stock - 2nd Gear Dyno.png
v4b vs Stock - 2nd Gear Dyno.png (36.79 KiB) Viewed 15084 times
RonH6

ROM V4B REVIEW

Post by RonH6 »

As the tuning continues, rom V4b did not dissappoint. The most noticeable change personally is the top end power compared to lower rom versions. The strip in which i do my pulls on, i find myself at the redline in 2nd quicker than before. The gears shift quick and smooth until i press the gas hard enough and the car starts to hold the gears in auto. The 5EAT is responding almost in regards to the way i want to drive off jump. Its impressive considering where we started. The throttle response is very sharp and i love it. Sometimes i do anticipate a harder pull when i floor it compared to lets say 65% throttle, but considering the N/A power linearity, it seems accurate. The fuel consumption has held pretty constant considering previous roms aswell. Idle is slightly lower then previous versions too.

Ed - making my car a fun monster! A ROM at a time :)
west_minist
Site Admin

v6 w/ CAI

Post by west_minist »

Weather - https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/hi ... &width=614
v6 2nd Gear Dyno.png
v6 2nd Gear Dyno.png (32.74 KiB) Viewed 15039 times
RonH6

ROM V6 REVIEW

Post by RonH6 »

This update was an absolute charm! V6 with my CAI made my car actually break tires for a second @ 3700RPM~ pull!. The power delivery is near instant from when my foot is on the pedal. The torque hits the car hard and from 5000- to redline she pulls very hard. The 5EAT is trying to shift so fast that in auto, sometimes from 3rd it has to downshift back to second. The gears hold once i give it atleast 80% throttle. The fuel consumption got better even with me flooring it! ROM V6 works like a charm and compliments the CAI nicely! I love the highend POWAAA!!!

-Ed, can it get ANY better than this? I dont know :D. Ed the subaru guru.
RonH6

ROM V7B / STAGE 3 TCU

Post by RonH6 »

So i have got ROM V7b soley focused on bettering the 5EAT operations and responsiveness. And BOY!!! STAGE 3 makes a very very huge difference. In automatic the car shifts buttery smooth all the way to fifth - as FAST as possible in normal/cruising driving conditons. Before this upgrade, the car would hold back a TON of torque low end when i gave the car heavy throttle and launching speeds. That has been minimized substantially. When driving mildly aggressive, the 5eat holds the gears as long as you keep giving it the majority of throttle angle, then RAPIDLY shifts gears. With STAGE 3, you can feel that difference in shifting speeds. It just jumps from one gear to the next effortlessly. I have more control over my car with my foot in auto. It is easier to estimate how the car will accelerate when i press the gas for an overtake. Before the car would stutter on quick boosts off throttle, now it utilizes the gas rather than voiding it, and puts the power to the ground quicker than before. In manual mode, its a complete dream! I can brake-launch the car around 2000rpm and she flys! No more stuttering/ trying to hold back the power. STAGE 3 is a must if you want the best out of your 5eat experience. Let alone power to floor!

ED - THE GURU :)
RonH6

Re: Rom V9D - Car Status Post Raptor Install (Sept 2016)

Post by RonH6 »

So I had my raptor headers installed since september and ran into a couple problems a few months back. My coil packs gave out and I had an exhaust leak which both were later fixed.

Rom V9D - Ed took the time out to remap my ECU after the initial raptor tuning to improve my car the best way he can. We even tested race gas (95+) with additional roms to reduce pinging due to NYC gas quality. The car felt great but up in the rev range I can feel something missing. Plus I could visually see and feel the RPM stutter down for some reason on mild throttle.

After: Ed noticed that my car didnt show any significant gains prior to headers upgrade. With that being said, he helped me with the hunt to find out why. Come to find out, my motor is not holding compression possibly due to previous lean conditions which caused my valves to warp due to heat which happened before tuning. So now I am currently in possession of supertech 1+MM valves and springs, subaru oem valve seal gasket kit, and new plugs (coolant is splashing on current plugs) to resolve my problem with an upcoming rebuild. I have decided that i might also due a port and polish because the head of the motor will be off. Even though this was a disappointing find, i am excited to see what new found power my leggy will bring. Ed was and IS a big help throughout the process and always is honest can be.

Below are some pictures of the header install, cold air intake cut and fab (current), and upcoming mods.
RaptorHeaders.jpg
RaptorHeaders.jpg (120.71 KiB) Viewed 13490 times
Cai.jpg
Cai.jpg (162.9 KiB) Viewed 13490 times
SuperTechValves.jpg
SuperTechValves.jpg (116.15 KiB) Viewed 13490 times
SuperTechSprings.jpg
SuperTechSprings.jpg (123.92 KiB) Viewed 13490 times

Return to “Subaru H6 3.0”