H6 3.0R Customer Feedback

Please post your feedback on Xtreme Racing Tuning service to you.
Thank you very much
west_minist
Site Admin

Graham

Post by west_minist »

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=390#p1106
MrPotatoHead wrote:This is my car, just posting my thoughts here. Its been a big learning experience for me and for the car, but luckily i usually pick things up pretty quick :). I contacted edward after reading all the good feedback from people that had their cars tuned. I've noticed immediate improvements in throttle response with light applications, and especially with the v1 rom, it feels like it pulls stronger from low rpm. I'm happy with the gains so far, and edward has been very helpful getting me set up!
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... =390#p1115
MrPotatoHead wrote:I've been very happy with all aspects of the service Edward has provided. Considering the time difference he's always been very quick to respond to any questions or updates I've sent. The car now feels much more responsive, more powerful, and more linear especially at the top end. The last 1000rpm is actually useful now! The DBW changes have made it easier for me to drive, as i'm used to a more sensitive throttle. The service came recommended to me, and I would recommend it to others as well.
west_minist
Site Admin

simon

Post by west_minist »

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=391
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:25 AM
To: Edward
Subject: RE: v3

I would like to start by saying thankyou for doing such a good job and for your patience.
I just flashed V3 DBW and realised how bad the stock DBW is. I dont know how i ever drove the car lol.
V3 is leaps and bounds ahead of stock.
I will flash V3 back on the car.
I did a log but i was in traffic, good indicator of how rubbish stock DBW is, i attached in case you want to look at it.
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 6:28 AM
Subject:

MY07 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon Manual with SI DRIVE.
Modifications so far include K&N air filter, TEIN S Tech springs, DBA 4000 wiper slot rotors, Dixcel type M pads, lower control arms bushes.

When i first contacted Edward (aka west_minist) he was very keen to tune my car as was I. I didn't quite have the money to pay for the tune in full but this posed no problem. Pay me some now and the rest later, wow who else would give you those options unless friends or family.

I paid $500 via western union with a $50 fee and we got started. I paid another $250 with a $30 fee two weeks later.
So all up the cost to me was $830 for the tune $230 for the tactrix openport II from tactrix. New Denso iridium plugs IKH20 $70 on ebay US delivered.
and roughly $70 worth of fuel for logs only(not including normal driving around).

$1200 was the end result but once you take the leap off faith you will be rewarded at the end.
It is a worthwhile investment as i get a better feeling when driving the car than the day i purchased it.

Started on a friday night did some logs using romraider with my openport II plugged into my laptop, drove on roads i would usually drive.
Logged normal driving style and some general cruising at set speeds 60 80 110 with the parameters edward requested. I then took some logs driving it like i stole it. Did a couple of back to back 3rd gear pulls hold 2000rpm hit log then wide open throttle to redline letting the rpm drop back to about 2500rpm, stop log. Then same road same direction same point. Remember you will hit around 130kmh in a gear pull so do it somewhere safe.
Gear pulls where only needed for stock V0 and for me V4 Totalling 6 gear pulls.

Saturday morning i had my first tune V0 emailed to me which i saved to ecuflash. Connecting the green connectors at the passenger side i flashed V0 using ecuflash then unplugged them. I read up on the forums and watched youtube to understand the process and contacted edward on msn for piece of mind
First drive the car was very different. It was very responsive and had alot of bottom end torque but felt a little flat up top and nothing much like stock. This is just a base setting for the tuning process, but rest assured as you get each Version the car gets better and better.
More logs emailed to edward and V1 was received on....

Sunday morning. The time difference is great while i sleep edward works on the tune. V1 put my mind to rest the car was now sooo smooth. I couldn't believe it the top end power was back and the new torque levels where still there. DBW still felt a bit too aggressive for my likes so we would change it for V2. Again more logs emailed to Ed and another tune emailed back being V2

Monday V2 flashed on car surprised 3 tunes in 3 days that's quick. V2 was great DBW was working well with good feeling, car again was smoother and power felt nice more logs and a few days later V3 arrived.

V3 This is where the car felt really refined in all driving conditions and i didn't think it could possibly improve but.....

V4 This is where its at the car has come to life. Torque is very strong and the top end pull is ridiculous with no flat spots. If you are game enough to test 0-200+ on stock and V4 you will know.
The torque is so good now you can short shift or go into redline easily. I find myself putting it in 5th gear cruising 60kmh instead of 4th.

Its been about 2 weeks since the start of the process and i am about to do some logs on V4 for V5 but i am assuming that's where it will end.

Forget looking at the dyno pulls they don't do the tune justice, driving the car along your usual route is where you will notice the difference in the tune. They are just there for reference.
The car pulls from alot earlier and the power is linear not like the rough power band we are all used to.

The rev limiter has been raised slightly to a safe level. It doesn't have that annoying cut out that we have all hit from time to time going into the red.

The DBW is where i am the most impressed. I was blessed/Cursed with SI DRIVE and for those that have it know what i mean.

Stock
Sport# is quite nice when driving hard but too aggressive for peak hour traffic.
Sport mode has so much throttle lag it is almost impossible to drive. I would almost stall the car on take off every time.

V4
Now Sport is very easy to drive throttle is responsive and power is usable in all conditions traffic or open roads.
Sport # has gone to the next level the throttle response is just as crisp but you get more feeling from the pedal.

To keep all my logs consistent i used same fuel from same servo (premium 98 octane) fuel level was always around 3/4 full and i was always on my own to keep weight consistent.
I would usually log between 9.30 and 10.30pm only because of traffic.

Unless you have modified your intake or exhaust you must remember you are tuning a stock car so there wont be massive power gains just better fuelling, drivability and improved torque from earlier in the rev range. But if you have modifications edward can still give you a custom tune.

Overall edward is very helpful and professional. I have no problem recommending his services to the next 3.0R Spec B owner.
These are just my thoughts and opinion.

Simon
H6BOXER
west_minist
Site Admin

Tradewind / Raptor

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=405
Tradewind wrote:I will add one here on behalf of a customer Ed tuned this past weekend in conjunction with myself. The tuning period was around 3hrs and we start from V0 and finish with V3, had a few problems with ROM RAIDER this time and had to get fuel half way through as well just to ensure pinging wasnt fuel level related.

The car is a Lib 3.0RB 2007 Si drive manual w/XFORCE cat back system

The owner text me today with the following comment

This is on V3
Car driving great, notice huge difference in low end

I have V4. from Ed which I will load for this customer soon and then we are pretty much done.

I compared my Liberty this car is slightly more powerful and ever so slowly pulls away
west_minist
Site Admin

Ali-A

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=451
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2012 9:22 AM
Subject: RE: Customer feedback

150kw/247Nm (Weight reduced by around 100kg, otherwise it could jump higher, I care about acceleration)

Ed,
I'm very satisfied with the car's performance so far and I'm sure it will become much more better when it learns.

Couple of interesting things:
- The car now jumps when launching, great response!
- Torque is great, you feel the power in the pedal!
- Learning!! whatever your driving style is, the car learns it fast.
- Shifting in the 3gear became a lot faster.
- Power starts in around 2500rpm, thanks to Raptor headers.
- More fuel usage.
- FUN, the great response makes it more sporty.

Ed:
- Patient and helpful, we reached v6.
- Knowledgeable and always ready to give answers and directions.
- Willing to help and support anytime, we might do another project :)
- I learned a lot of things from him and gained more experience.
- Strongly recommended for the next customer.

Car now is under some maintenance job.. injectors cleaning & spark plug replacement.. above number will definitely go higher as we are approaching winter session :) it was tuned in the summer session, humid too.

Thanks Ed for your efforts, looking forward to work with you again, maybe soon.

Regards,
Ali
west_minist
Site Admin

JoshL

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=458
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 2:22 AM
To: 'Edward'
Subject: RE: Review of the current tune

Hi Edward,

The tune has really improved the car so far. I am very happy.
I will do some more logging after the service for you.

I mode is 500% better than it was stock. It is now very usable and I will be using it 95% of the time from now on.
S mode I haven’t tested much, as I will be using I or S# all the time I think. But it felt good from what I tested. Holds gears longer then I and is quicker to downshift when needed.
S# is awesome. Car feels fantastic through the whole rev range.

Overall I wanted a more drivable car, and it definitely is. The off-the-line acceleration is much improved – it used to be quite slow in the stock tune to be honest.

Will let you know once the car is serviced and will send you some more logs.

Cheers,
Josh.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:32 PM
To: west_minist
Subject: RE: How are you?

Hi Edward,

So far I am very happy with the tune.
The car is much more derivable and more fun to drive.

Your service has been excellent, you always responded quickly to my emails/whatsapp messages which is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Josh.
Brunsy3.0

Re: 3.0R Customer Satisfaction

Post by Brunsy3.0 »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=467

I first made contact with Edward from XRT (west_minist) WAY back in December 2011. Originally I was waiting to upgrade my exhaust system for my 3.0L spec.B H6 before I got it tuned. As everyone knows plans change and life gets in the way sometimes. So a long time later we finally get started on tuning, no exhaust mods besides Phat quad tip mufflers. V0 was sent on 22-05-13 and even thish base rom was impressive, the new response of the throttle makes the stock tune look pathetic, and trust me this has only gotten better over the new roms. After V1, V1-avcs was sent making tweaks to the AVCS, obviously. The new roms makes it like a new car to drive, I find myself over-revving 1st gear on take off sometimes as the stock tune had so much lag in the throttle that it had to be held down for a bit and also further down to get the revs right. Now the revs come on instantly and are far more sensitive which makes learning to drive it new and exciting. after a few days the driving experience becomes much more comfortable and the confidence grows. Even the misses finds the new tune more responsive and powerful, She doesn't know how to make sense of the Dyno Graphs but still she can basically tell me (in her own words) that it has more torque, power, driveability, and that the overall car feels much smoother. I am currently on V3 and if the results from my next log are what Edward expects than it will be the last....for a few weeks anyway.

I have ceramic coated headers going on in the near future and absolutely cannot wait until they're installed and we can get the retune underway. Edward has not only been informative but VERY patient. I went from not knowing a damn thing about tuning, logging, reading Dyno figures, hell I didn't have a clue what a Tactrix Openport 2.0 cable was. I was a little hesitant at first, especially when messing with the brain of the car that I had not had ANY experience with whatsoever. But after showing me the ropes I was much more comfortable with loading roms, recording logs, and doing all the other bits and pieces (which isn't all that scary once I had done it a few times). I have to thank Edward for all his time and effort, and especially for making the car the way it should have come from factory, a BEAST. Edward seemed almost as excited as I was to get the tuning started and for each and every rom, making changes and tweaking this and that (most of which I cannot get my head around). So for anybody looking to get tuned by XRT, stop hesitating and just do it, seriously best bang for buck I have done to the car yet.

Thanks again Edward for all you have done, cheers.

Brunsy
west_minist
Site Admin

AdamH - 3.0R Customer Satisfaction

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=463
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:26 AM
To: Xtreme Racing Tuning
Subject: RE: Customer Feedback

Hi Edward,

Sorry for the delay on this.

I can definitely notice a big difference after the tune. Bottom end torque has picked up significantly and throttle response and gear changes are much better. Feels like a different car. Service was fantastic and very flexible with the times which we could work on tuning the car. Feedback was given and adjustments were made until I was happy with the way it performed. Overall very good value for money. Highly recommended.

Thanks.

Best Regards
AdamH
west_minist
Site Admin

BenI - 2008 ADM Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=482
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:23 AM
Subject: v3

I cannot recommend Edward’s (XRT) tuning service highly enough. He has taken my stock H6 3.0 Liberty (auto) to a whole new level, it drives like a completely different car. More torque, more response and more power. I was a having a few troubles getting the tuning working at first as I was not familiar at all with the Tactrix Cable and software used but Edward took all the time needed to ensure I was brought up to speed with how to use it and get it working. Ed is a great guy, always quick to respond and continuously works with you and your queries the entire way through. I am up to version three of the tune on my stock ride and each new version saw great improvements after Ed makes the necessary adjustments. A special thanks goes to Ed for the improvement in the reduction of throttle lag. One of my biggest issues with the car was the throttle lag in the Auto gear box. Before the tune, when i put my foot down it took a few seconds for the car to respond with the power. I told Ed my concerns and he has managed to significantly reduce this throttle lag. There is almost no lag whatsoever now, especially when I’m in sport # mode using the tiptronic controls, its just amazing how much performance the stock car provides. After having my car tuned by Ed my advice is GET YOUR CAR TUNED! The factory tune does not do these engines/cars justice and Ed will prove that to you!

I will be installing a Raptor Header system on my H6 in a few weeks following Ed’s recommendation and I am looking forward to see what gains Ed will be able to come up with through tuning once they are installed.
west_minist
Site Admin

DonaldB - 2005 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/new ... &p=1117377
cracklincrotch wrote:So for the last few days I've been working with Ed @ Xtreme Racing Tuning. Got a engine log sent off to him and he asks me,"When was the last time I had the engine serviced?" So I listed off what I've done and when since getting the car. When I woke up this morning I'm thinking to myself that Ed is going to tell me I need new spark plugs.

I came close to changing them a bit more than a month ago. The car had 138,000km on it when I bought it so they should have been changed at 100,000km/60,000mi. So I bought plugs just in case mine appeared as if they hadn't been changed. I took one plug out and I thought it was fine. I showed it to a couple of mechanic friends and they both said it was fine and to put it back in. I returned the new plugs - they were $18.50 plus tax at the dealer. They were going back at that price if I didn't need them.

So back to the engine log. Ed tells me my 3.0R is running between 190-200HP and I'm no more than 175ft-lbs at the wheels. I'm using ethanol-free 91 AKI Esso gasoline. I went over some of the log yesterday afternoon and I half looked at the IAM and thought that at .4 it was a little low. Anyway, here's the link to the engine graphs:

Dealer has the best price around on the NGK ILFR6B plugs. $18.50ish plus tax = $21.28 each times six = $127.68.

No wonder the gas use is nasty. Sure the car wants to take off when I floor it. But apparently I've yet to feel it "take off!" And it's -10C and I have no garage to work in. At least there's no snow on the ground here and the engine will be warm after buying plugs :D
cracklincrotch wrote:I'm still giggling when I punch the gas either way! :D
cardoc wrote:Makes you wonder why Subaru didn't just make it that way from the factory, eh?
cracklincrotch wrote:It's been a week and I'm about to flash v6 from Edward this morning.

When you figure that the car I drive (and every other ECU controlled car) went through 1000s of hours of development, what's another week?

This far into the tune I swear the car is telling me "C'mon! C'mon! Let's go let's go let's go! I wanna RUN!!" like a dog that just brought me a stick.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109 ... ost1262641
This guy knows what he's doing!

Without any mods to my car he's improved the whole feel of the car. Before my car felt just okay. I used to drive a 2.2 Outback, 2.5 Legacy and Forester, and then my current 3.0R. Yeah, there was more power. After Ed @ XRT, my 3.0R has more power! I stick the car in 1st gear and punch the gas the engine begins to roar and the front end of my car wants to lift off the ground just to make sure I feel the back of my seat!

Patient, knowledgeable, experienced, and easy to work with: Ed @ XRT will make you think you're driving a different car entirely. Absolutely, bar none, worth every penny!
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109 ... ost1512898
I'm still learning how little gas I have to give my car to start moving in a parking lot or drive-thru. All the car wants to do when I touch the gas is drop it's ass and throw itself forwards!
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61- ... ost1625257
Ed sent me updated roms a few days ago to try out.

So far I've only had a chance to try one of those, with the results in the above video. Transmission performance improvement was immediate and very obvious. Shifting is much quicker than before and still very smooth. Even through the RPMs drop very fast when shifting I don't feel the shifts at all. The car feels as if there is more torque and that torque feels like it's available sooner. And although preliminary it appears my mileage may have improved too!
Before = 183WHP @ 6849RPM/170ft-lbs @ 4238RPM
After Ed = 195WHP @ 5756RPM/197ft-lbs @ 4861RPM, +7% HP, +16% torque, fully stock
west_minist
Site Admin

MattC - 2004 ADM Subaru Liberty 3R 6MT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=408
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2013 1:10 AM
Subject: V7

DBW is great.I feel like the car pulled a bit harder on V5 with the avcs changes.Overall the car is feeling quite good with the wheels wanting to spin in the wet now.

Return to “Customer Satisfaction”