H6 3.0R Customer Feedback

Please post your feedback on Xtreme Racing Tuning service to you.
Thank you very much
west_minist
Site Admin

JordanB - 2005 JDM Subaru Liberty 3R 6MT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=487
jbrizz wrote:When I imported my car from Japan I had a lot of detonation and consequently a lot of times I seemed to have timing retard made my car feel sluggish, unresponsive and most of all inconsistent. I got a local tuner to dyno tune my car but that did very little to help the situation, all I had was a slightly more responsive throttle and better fuel economy, a bit less detonation but still very inconsistent performance. The tuner blamed it on lack of logging options for my car (IAM, and some of the other knock correction stuff missing).

I decided to give Ed a go since he seemed to be the expert on tuning these cars. And I must say, although the tuning is not finished, he really changed the way the car feels. It felt like there was always something missing, like it wanted to be better and had the potential to be better. After his tuning efforts the response was drastically improved, as was torque in the middle range and now it revs out much higher without feeling like it's running out of puff, so much so that I find myself hitting the rev limiter. On 98 octane the car absolutely flies now and always has consistent performance. As a bonus the trip meter now shows lower fuel consumption at cruising, although I might be able to pin that one on finding and sealing up an intake leak.

Ed is also providing me with "crappy fuel" tune as 98 octane is not available at many pumps in NZ. Top end performance on this tune is still better than stock and now I also know that my engine isn't going to detonate itself to bits. If I know I'm going on a road trip and there won't be 98 pumps handy it'll only take me 5 mins to flash this safe tune back on my car.

We have also discovered an issue with my car which I was somewhat aware of but blamed it on tuning, a weird surge when attempting to accelerate hard at below 4000 rpm. Ed has tried quite hard to tune it out but hasn't been able. Now I have the logging and evidence that it's not knock retard or anything like that so I can get it fixed up under warranty.

Overall Ed has been fantastic to deal with, patient with my stupid questions, very quick to respond at all hours of the day (I'm not sure when or if he sleeps because he always seems to reply straight away) and has done a great job tuning my car thus far. I'm looking forward to finishing the fine tuning and experiencing what my car can do when the mechanical issue, whatever it may turn out to be, is finally resolved.
west_minist
Site Admin

RichardZ - 2005 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=494
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: First Review
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 20:54:54 -0500
To: Xtreme Racing Tuning

so there I was online looking for upgrades for my 05 outback. I had already installed a cat back exhaust and custom cai but what good Are they if the car is tuned for stock parts. I came across a forum that pointed me in the direction of xrt. I looked up the website and found some reviews on many different subarus but what really caught my eye was that the 3.0r h6 engines were being tuned as well. So I contacted Edward and within a few hours I got a reply saying he could tune my car. So we went back and forth a few emails later I purchased the tactrix cable and purchased the tune. I had a few issues trying to install romraider due to my laptop using 64bit java. So I uninstalled all java on my laptop and installed 32bit java. Everything started to work. I was very nervous in messing with the ecu of the car but with all the great reviews I’ve been reading from Ed it put my mind at ease. First time ive ever done this but with Eds help over team viewer and Skype it was as if I had been doing it for years. I can’t tell you how much Ed helped me on anything I needed to get the tune going. Emails were replied within minutes answering any question or concern I might have. We first started by copying the stock rom on 1/31/14 and making sure all the definitions were in order. We did not 1 but 2 tunes on 2/2/14. I wasn’t expecting it to be this fast but Ed really works hard. Did 3 logging sessions and 2 roms were custom made one being better than the next. He changed the drive by wire and WOW I was not expecting that! The car was completely different. The takeoff on it was truly something else. On the first drive with v0 the gear changes were smoother and acceleration was slightly better but dies off in the end, will get better as more tuning is made. Ed said my car has a vacuum leak somewhere, he could even tell I have an air leak before my car could throw any codes. Just by looking at the logs he found it. I will attend to it soon.

So far Ed has been truly amazing at tuning and helping me in any way possible. We still have a lot of logging and tuning to do but it will be all worth it in the end. Stay tuned for more updates.
Subject: RE: review 2
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:29:39 -0500
To: XRT

Update: took my car to my local mechanic and had the spark plugs changed, vacuum leak test, o2 sensor and pcv valve checked out. Plugs don’t look like they’ve been changed, everything checked out good.

I had to load stock rom back on the car for a few days so I could do a stock 2nd gear pull for the log and also so my mechanic wont freak out when he hits the gas and realizes this is not a stock car. I’m still getting used to the changes to the drive by wire, my mpg has gone down but that’s due to me flooring the pedal in 1st gear just to feel the power I never had in this car before. People must think I’m trying to race them off the light when my car launches forward when just touching the gas, lol. So far Ed has done an amazing job!!! I’m very happy with the way the car is performing. Just waiting for raptor to get their new set of headers in stock so I can get them and have Ed retune them. The car feels better than ever! The power is great over hills, doesn’t have to shift down to get power, the gear changes are smooth and the sound of the engine now is unreal. I just need to do one more log and gear pull for final results. I can’t believe how fast and fun tuning really is when you have a great tuner that really knows what he’s doing and when he does it he does it right! I can now see why XRT is known as “vicious tuned, driven hard” stay tuned for more updates on my car.
west_minist
Site Admin

NicolasD - 2007 EDM Subaru Legacy Spec B 3.0R 6MT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=507
Subject: Re: ROM file Legacy Spec B EDM 2007
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 14:14:27 +0100 (BST)
To: XtremeRacingTuning

Hi Edward,

The car seems to be more responsive in the low rpm! I have tried only the SI-mode S#. I need to drive it more and test the other SI-mode.

Thx.
Nicolas
Subject: Re: v1
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 15:41:55 +0100 (BST)

Hi Edward,

I have not yet test drive the v1a (just written it to ECU 10 min ago), but with the v0, there are already huge improvement over stock!
I drove 10 min with SI-mode I, the car seems to be driveable now in this mode, before it was just a nightmare and never selected this mode. The car is smoother and more reactive, also less shaking at low RPM, sounds promising!

In S# the car accelerates stronger in the range idle - 4000 RPM, no lag at all, I like it!
Subject: Re: v1
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 22:20:10 +0100 (BST)

Hi Edward,

The car now has more responsive acceleration, even with I mode! Great mod!
When cruising at a constant speed, is it doable to optimize a bit the fuel consumption with the I-mode?
I can try to reload the stock ROM and do some 3rd gear pull again for comparison.

Thanks a lot!
Nicolas
west_minist
Site Admin

RichL - 2005 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=506
Subject: more logs
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 10:56:22 -0700
To: Xtreme Racing Tuning

Hey ,

So far The DBW is huge improvement and the torque through the first few gears is good. Since I do a lot highway
driving and encounter cars doing under the speed limit I appreciate a good quick lane change and pass. You have
done allot with what little I have given you it's know wonder that you are the 3.0 guru, I am glad I found you.

RichL
west_minist
Site Admin

Jk - Australia. '05 3.0 Subaru Outback

Post by west_minist »

Subject: Re:Re: Australia. '05 3.0 Subaru Outback.
Date: Tue, April 22, 2014 5:11 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. After your tune, I have NEVER felt the gearbox so smooth. I've always HATED that gearbox with a passion, but after your tune it was Absolutely PERFECT. **It no longer held onto gears which was my main gripe**. It simply changed up to higher gears as soon as it was able to handle the torque demand & with such a buttery smoothness that it was almost a seamless transition. I LOVED the way the auto shifted after your tune!!! Yes, it was That good!!

I am currently on another tune.

Missing your gearbox tune right now Ed!!

Cheers, J.
west_minist
Site Admin

JoeS - 2008 USDM Subaru Legacy 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=520

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109 ... ost1658834
...and I'll third it. I'm only on v1 with him but am very pleased with the results so far!
west_minist
Site Admin

Alex - 2014 USDM Subaru Legacy Outback H6 3.6R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=514

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104 ... ost1699298
Just found this topic :) i is conversation about my car being tuned :) Edward is just perfect to work with! I was dealing with tuners before few times, he is the best. I think for e-tune of 3.6 any AT you'll be hard pressed to find anyone better, and he tunes every other Subarus too.

I'm very happy with the way this work is going and and the gains I'm getting so far. Excellent job!
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=1
Hello fellows, i was looking for good e-tuner forever... No one seems to be responsive enough to have e-tune done for 3.6

Finally i located xtremeracingtuning.com !
Excellent guys, super fast with response, support any subaru engines, including supercharged 3.0 and 3.6 :)

They are as good as torqued performance in terms of the turn around time, but do NA engines too :) fast e-mail exchange, they also tune AT transmission response.

I'm half way through the process, AT is tuned as well as fuel maps, valve control is coming soon. Car is already head and shoulders above stock, but more to come :)

I'll post results once we a finished, a week or so. I'm at this point is slower with my logs, then they with the tunes :)
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=2
Just to pun in prospective how difficult it was to find 3.6 engine tuner... As former owner of wrx 04, wrx 09, evo X, wrx 2012 I do have some experience with 4 different popular tuners, and must say Edward (xtremeracingtuning.com) is one of the best in business :)

I'm kind of spoiled, my previous tunes were with Eric Minehart (subaru turbo tunes only) you can see feedback about him on every subaru forum he is extremely sharp guy.
But after all, i must say Edward is probably even more detail oriented and he tunes all subarus including N/A engines :)

Now, the car 2014 outback, we are in the middle of the tune, not finished yet. So far, drive by wire, fuel maps, and transmission behavior are almost done. Results of that alone, have transformed the car in quick responsive vehicle, no delays on shifts, more power and a lot better driving experience. Feels like bmw x3 now :) big power improvement is ahead, and involves valve control tuning. This will be purely power modification. Once we are finished I'll have stock flash loaded, logged and then compared with tuned.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=31
Almost done with the tine, Edward is the best! So much attention, so many detail, accuracy! I'll be posting results in couple days :))) transmission shifts first class now :)
west_minist
Site Admin

OutL4w - 2007 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=524
Subject: RE: Feedback
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:16:02 -0400
To: XRT>

Like many people before me, I was a bit wary about having my OB ECU tuned by XRT. After reading the many feedback associated with Edward's work, I decided to hop on the train and get it done. After getting around setting my laptop to speak to my car through the Tactrix cable, me and Edward realized that my ROM was not supported. I thought this was the premature end to my OB tuning but Edward reassured me that he could build the definition and work with it. After he sent me the definition for my ROM, I started logging information and sent him the base logs. Nearly an hour after I was done, I was surprised with the v0 of my new ECU. At the end of our first day of work, we were already at v2 with already so many major changes to the car. The throttle has so much response now that I am actually saving gas in the city. The transmission shifting is much smoother and is also much quicker to drop in lower gears when you floor for a quick overtake. I feel now that I have a much better control over my car. We are not done yet with our tuning, but we are getting there (currently still on v2).

Edward is a pleasure to work with and as others previously stated, the guy never sleep! Wether you're a knowledgable mechanic or a newbie like me, Edward easily adapts to its clients and can answer your every concern. I'd really wish I could exchange a good handshake with him once we're done tuning my OB.
west_minist
Site Admin

RobertF - 2004 ADM Subaru Legacy 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... 1614#p1614
Subject: Feedback
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:40:57 +1000

Hey Ed,
I will mirror what others have said, I was wary of getting the car tuned by an international tuner, but I talked to friends who have had it done to their XT Foresters etc. They assured me it wasn't as big a deal as I was worried about. I contacted Ed, he got back to me straight away, seemed very nice to deal with so that was it, bought the tactrix cable, downloaded the software, logged some driving and away we went.

I am going for economy primarily, however the car is much more responsive, the adjustments made to the drive by wire made the most noticeable difference in my car. Transmission shifts quicker into the next gear, we had a little play around with this as it was slightly clunking into gears with the initial change. It also shifts down quicker when booted. The power has changed too, there is a spike of power at 3000rpm which wasn't there before, really feels like the cams come on and car pulls really hard from 3k onward.

I have also noticed the cruise control works much better with the tune, it doesn't struggle in hilly terrain. When cruising in drive in the hills it doesn't shuffle for gears anymore either, which is a huge plus.

So how did we go with economy? I did a round trip to the coast from Canberra (included spirited run from Tathra up Brown mountain) and managed 10km/L, average pre-tune was 9km/L at best. So highway driving will net even better. Around town the wife has been getting 8.3 to 8.5km/L about 50km more between fills.

Was it worth it? Yes in short it is more economical, more responsive, it feels like a younger less tired car.

Will it pay itself off? in the long run probably but for now the fun factor is high and the wife loves it.

If I had my time again I would get a CAI and Headers from Raptor before tuning. Would see much more power gain from the tune.

Cheers
Rob
west_minist
Site Admin

TonyC - 2005 USDM Subaru Outback LL Bean H6 3.0R

Post by west_minist »

Subject: Re: Review on XRT
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 18:38:50 -0400

Hi Ed. Finally found time to send over a review.

I have a 2005 Subaru Outback LL Bean. 6cyl, automatic. USDM.

XRT was very professional from the beginning, when I was just thinking
of tuning my car. I initially wanted only the drive by wire tuning,
but since Ed was running a special at the time, it only cost a little
more for full tuning.....a great deal if he runs the special again and
really a great deal at any price.

The bottom line for XRT and Ed, get your car tuned. More power, more
torque, waaaay better throttle response, and better shifting.
Definitely worth it. We went through 6 roms, each better than the
last. And once I spelled out the way I wanted the throttle, I could
really tell an improvement in each new rom. I recommend a linear
throttle. I tried the standard throttle, which I did not like. It
was way too touchy up front. Now, 10% pedal=10% throttle. 100%
pedal=100% throttle. I liked it better than Ed's standard throttle,
and much, much better than stock.

I have no more lag, lots more power, and the car is seriously easier
to control. The car feels solid now, like everything is locked
together instead of each part working individually. Hands down, worth
the money and time. Do it. You won't regret it.

Tony

Return to “Customer Satisfaction”