ChrisKu - 2008 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

2000-2002 Subaru Outback/Legacy/liberty
2003-2009 Subaru Outback/Legacy/Liberty
2006-2007 Subaru Tribeca
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... _EZ_engine
Keems3.0R

Re: ChrisKu - 2008 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Post by Keems3.0R »

west_minist wrote:EGR Valve replaced after serious Idle issues occurred.
Yea, as ed, stated, i was having serious idle and startup issues...It started as i was out driving one day and comming up to a stop light, the car stalled out and had a very hard time starting back up, normally the 3.0R fires up super quik and without my help, now im having to give gas upon startup to get the idle rpm's up...After i got the car back home, ed and I did some diagnostics and Ed, suggested that i replace the egr, or atleast take off egr and check vavle out. So after blindly wrestling this egr valve off, which was up underneath the intake manifold, i noticed that the egr valve was in a stuck open position at idle. I opened the valve manually and a bunch of metal shaving/pieces fell out of where it was blocking the vavle.(going to find out where thhese metal pieces could have come from..they look brass too..hmm..)
Anyways, so after getting a brand new subaru egr vavle & gaskets, i had to wrangle the egr valve back on the same hard way it came off! haha, but this was much harder! hahahaha...after getting everything tightened and torqued, i fired the 3.0R back up and she ca,me back to life in a great way! i was happy she was idling sooper smooth again and i did not have to help on the startup anymore! :D So, far everything has gone back to normal, in the sense that theres no rough idle, or misfiring at idle, no stalling and startup is effortless again! Egr Valve was the issue this time on the rough idle, thanks ed! ;)
west_minist
Site Admin

vprmfmv27 - Race Stats on Chevron 91 | Elevation = 1910ft

Post by west_minist »

More tuning done

Elevation: 1910Ft
Barometer: 13.64psi
vprmfmv27.png
vprmfmv27.png (17.32 KiB) Viewed 15196 times
Keems3.0R

Re: vprmfmv27 - Race Stats on Chevron 91 | Elevation = 1910f

Post by Keems3.0R »

west_minist wrote:More tuning down
vprmfmv27.png
These times make me very happy! They are all faster times on the 0-60mph, 0-100mph and 1/4mile times on ROM v27 vs V26! The rallymax is working! going to do a little more testing to optimize the rallymax mixture with ed, but so far so good! This rallymax additive, especially up in the mountains is helping i feel in a big way! the pinging looked like it went down as well too!

v26 vs v27
0-60mph 7.6sec / 0-60mph 6.8sec
0-100mph 17.8sec / 0-100mph 16.6sec
1/4mile 15.9sec / 1/4mile 15.2sec
west_minist
Site Admin

More 5EAT Stage 3 (AKA 5EAT-DBW Full Race) Shifting & Operat

Post by west_minist »

hey ed, did another driving log late tonight when no one was on the road...just a driving log in sport sharp...felt great! idle is very smooth again..i did a short idle session in the beginning of log holding at 1000, 1250, 1500, 2000rpms...
then i took her up a couple grades and thru a windy road section n back out onto the hwy from a stand still, then at the end of log theres a big downshift in auto up the bigger hill climb into my town...it downshifted from 55mph in 5th all the way to 2nd gear n redlined thru 3rd...
was very smooth on throttle when steay crusing too...it did a wonderful thing too as i was getting into my neigborhood, i was creepin in 2nd gear very slow n theres a tiny hill u climb n pull into my driveway...holding the throttle steady in 2nd, whithout any throttle change, it downshifted into 1st by itself! it was awsome! it did one other time when i was crusing thru town in 4th steady on throttle n then it downshifted into 3rd without me pushing on pedal! it was cool...it was almost reading my mind/driving style if it were manual....crazy...
overall felt great, no complaints so far on vprmV27...pulls hard in 2nd!! n all other gears too...lol...
west_minist
Site Admin

vprmfmv30 - Race Stats - Chevron 91 | Elev. 1910Ft

Post by west_minist »

Elevation: 1910Ft
Barometer: 13.64psi (27.77inHg)
v30 Drag Times.png
v30 Drag Times.png (14.96 KiB) Viewed 14999 times
west_minist
Site Admin

vprmfmv31 - 5EAT Feedback

Post by west_minist »

log1-sport sharp driving log...started out in auto mode, slowly, progressivly getting faster n more aggressive on the shifting...slowing down, speeding up, so that the tranny can shift up n down a bunch..while i was in the automatic sport sharp driving mode, it felt very smooth and firm on the shifting, again it felt as if i was driving in the manual mode, the biggest difference in the auto mode is 5th gear(especially climbing a hill)...when you put your foot down, it goes, pulls away and most of the time it doesnt even need to downshift anymore, unless i wanna pass someone up a grade/hill...its a great feeling having it holfd the gear and not bogging down anymore and just having the power there wen u want it and not having to wait for it to catch up from the time you put your foot down..
shifted into manual mode on the big down hill grade so i dont have to use my brakes as much..lol
west_minist
Site Admin

vprmfmv31 - Drag Times | Altitude 970Ft

Post by west_minist »

Elevation: 970Ft
Barometer: 14.22psi (28.95inHg)
v31 Drag Times  - 970ft Altitude.png
v31 Drag Times - 970ft Altitude.png (11.83 KiB) Viewed 14988 times
v31 Drag Times (RPM)  - 970ft Altitude.png
v31 Drag Times (RPM) - 970ft Altitude.png (12.85 KiB) Viewed 14988 times
Another Drag pull up to 1/2 mile
v31 Drag Times #2  - 970ft Altitude.png
v31 Drag Times #2 - 970ft Altitude.png (13.17 KiB) Viewed 14985 times
I am not sure if the Oil temperature sensor was reading right. Was under 92F in those pulls although the coolant was 90. But when it got over 100 to 200F, then pinging and reduce power
Justification for better oil and oil cooling.png
Justification for better oil and oil cooling.png (13.66 KiB) Viewed 14985 times
Now if you continue to drive like this, you will have to change the oil, but you are in winter. But a full racing oil will be ok for you. Example Motul 300v. It will allow you to driver harder and longer, even at higher rpm to the limit.

I will also encourage you to get a patent oil cooler like the STI or Cusco ones.

Oils
The oils bellow have better fuel/oil dilution.
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products ... cing-15w50?
http://www.fuchslubricants.com/titan-race-pro-r-15w-50

Oil Coolers
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/pr ... cooler-kit
http://perrinperformance.com/i-19731661 ... 6-wrx.html
http://www.mishimoto.com/subaru-sti-oil ... it-15.html
Keems3.0R

Post by Keems3.0R »

So, its been a few months since ive been able to get back into tuning the BlackBird 3.0R..BlackBird...thats what im calling the 3.0R now..lol...anyways, since i live in the mountains up at 4000ft,theres been alot of winter weather, rain, snow, LOTS of snow. so its hindered the tuning process. Although, in this down time i have gotten a few suspension modifications to the BlackBird. Ive swapped out the rear OEM sway bay(I believe its 15mm) for a Cusco 21mm rear sway bar and Cusco rear sway bar brackets,to reinforce the stock sway bar brackets in the rear. I also replaced the OEM rear end links with WhiteLine Rear Adjustable end links. Im also planning on swapping out the OEM rear differential support for the Beatrush Rear diff support(i have part, just needs to be installed)...Ive also installed a rear 2point Brace(SubFrame brace/Rear Arm Bar), which has really stiffened up the rear end..it sticks to the road now!! Ive got a Bunch of front end suspensions upgrades to come in the next month or so..pics will follow!!
Attachments
Rear end with 2point rear frame brace
Rear end with 2point rear frame brace
rear end pic.jpg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 14633 times
Cusco rear sway bar brackets
Cusco rear sway bar brackets
rear sway brackets.jpg (39.48 KiB) Viewed 14633 times
Oem rear sway bar(15mm) Vs Cusco Rear sway bar(21mm)
Oem rear sway bar(15mm) Vs Cusco Rear sway bar(21mm)
rear sway bar.jpg (26.65 KiB) Viewed 14633 times
Oem rear end links Vs WhiteLine Adjustable rear end links
Oem rear end links Vs WhiteLine Adjustable rear end links
rear end links.jpg (99.94 KiB) Viewed 14633 times
Keems3.0R

Post by Keems3.0R »

A few more mods comming up for the 3.0R will be...Beatrush rear diiferential support install...Cusco Front sway bar 23mm, Custom front sway bar brack, courtesy of ChrisTurbo, Front Whiteline Adjustable end links, JDM front control arms, Whiteline conrtol arm bushings, Rear anti tramp insert bushings. As well, im adding a mishimoto 10row oil cooler and a termostatic oil plate and 169C Tstat. Then Brake parts to follow..DBA 4000xs series rotors, Ferodo DS2500pads, GrimmSpeed Brake Master cylinder brace, and Kakimoto Kai Stainless Steel Mesh Brake Lines, as well as Motul RBF600 Dot4 racing brake fluid. Ive also gotten rid of my OEM pitch stop brace and replaced it with a KartBoy Pitch Stop Brace & Installed and SPT Heat shield
Attachments
SPT heat Shield Installed
SPT heat Shield Installed
spt heat shield.jpg (85.65 KiB) Viewed 14632 times
Mishimoto oil cooler & thermostatic oil plate
Mishimoto oil cooler & thermostatic oil plate
oil cooler.jpg (41.19 KiB) Viewed 14632 times
GrimmSpeed Brake Master Cylinder Brace
GrimmSpeed Brake Master Cylinder Brace
GS brake master cylinder brace.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 14632 times
KartBoy Pitch Stop
KartBoy Pitch Stop