Post by west_minist »

v0 vs Stock - 2nd Gear Dyno SAE.png
v0 vs Stock - 2nd Gear Dyno SAE.png (37.21 KiB) Viewed 9009 times
west_minist
Site Admin

Customer review

Post by west_minist »

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/4947113-post.html
I got my car tuned by XRT (still in progress, but running amazingly already on the second ROM). Say what you want about limitations of the NA 2.5i partcularly with a 4eat, but Ed west_minist is an amazing tuner and really knows how to harness what's there.
west_minist
Site Admin

v1 Review

Post by west_minist »

Sent: Wednesday, 09 August 2017 13:48
To: west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com
Subject: Welcome back!

V1 has been really nice to drive on. I won't be winning any races, but now that the car sounds different a couple people have "challenged" my station wagon with their muscle cars and hot hatches. They must think I am hiding a turbo or something... or they are looking for an easy win :D I try to brush them off... the streets are not for racing... but for daily driving and surprise passing, it has been absolutely amazing. It can accelerate from 80mph going uphill. It could never, and I mean NEVER do that before. I had to put my foot to the floor just to approach and barely maintain that speed coming out of a valley. It can go to about 90mph in third gear before it shifts to 4th if I keep the pedal down... I never need to drive that fast... everything from low speed to high speed is snappy and responsive, the car definitely lurches forward when I give it more than the lightest touch, except from a complete stop, and going uphill, then it needs to wind up a little but it goes willingly.

Most impressive is the gear selection. Regular automatic mode still seems to follow the prime directive of "get to 4th gear quickly" or "quickly find the gear most efficient for coasting" but it does not do so at the cost of power - if I ask for performance, it delivers., it goes like sport, unless I back off the pedal. Sport mode, I don't know what you did but it stays in the power gear REALLY well. I have noticed a few times it does a quick downshift then back up which actually happens SO quickly, it wastes no power, it puts the power down then it puts it down then it puts it down. That kind of quick micro-shifting was useless when shifts took nearly a full second... now the technique is being harnessed better than I could ever do it manually. I don't know how you manage to tune the engine to make the transmission behave like this... but it is completely amazing.

I know you still have much tuning to do... I look forward to seeing what else you can do with it. Thanks very much,

Pete
west_minist
Site Admin

v3 Review

Post by west_minist »

Sent: Friday, 18 August 2017 10:46
To: west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com
Subject: V3

I have driven v3 like a granny for 10m then normal polite driving for 15-20m. It accelerated decisively but also mannerly, giving good power without having to scream at the top end. It also coasted along nicely, and made some really fast and smooth shifts that surprised me, but were incredibly appropriate, minor power band adjustments that did not drastically change the motor speed but did improve the power being put down at that moment. Beautiful use of the 4EAT.

Finally I got down to the highway and pushed it around a bit, still raining (but these tires are insanely grippy) so I only drove hard at key passing moments on the straightaways. Very good use of power it seemed. I didn't try to drive it like an auto WRX I just drove it like I drive my girlfriend's civic (and by the way, they are comparable in performance now, even though she has an insane power to weight ratio advantage). This was a better way to learn the TCU and the power is still available whenever I want it.
I am not sure how many of your customers care what is going on behind the scenes, but I find it all very interesting.

Thank you very much for your continued work on this.
Pete
west_minist
Site Admin

v4b review

Post by west_minist »

Sent: Saturday, 30 September 2017 21:42
To: <west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com>
Subject: Re: v4b

Will get you a log tomorrow but I just want to say I got 22.8 average miles per gallon today! That included some fast driving on the highway... Acceleration was smooth and the power was surprising, it really pulled hard for me. Best one yet Ed. You're a wizard