MichaelD - 2008 USDM Subaru legacy 2.5i 4EAT Auto - Tuning

NRRACING

Re: MichaelD - 2008 USDM Subaru legacy 2.5i 4EAT Auto - Tuni

Post by NRRACING »

So I got a chance to go out and do some pulls sunday. I will tell you this, you car is missing this tune from XRT. I went out and left the car in sport mode only (This is all I drive in now). I holds the power in corners and does not down shifts which is great for not dropping the power.

Pull 1
This pull was from a 2nd gear Sport mode. I was full throttle the whole time and there was no problem pulling from 20 MPH to 1XX mph. There are not stalls, hick ups, trans is smooth, and car sounds great.

Pull 2
I did this one in Maunal mode in 2nd gear and it was even better on this V2 tune, the car pulled very strong with no issues all the way through 3rd to 4th gear. I saw a small pause in the high RPM rage before and it was no issues. Ed at XRT took care of the small issues.

Note: I never really drive in manual mode, and see no reason to with this tune.

Pull 3 (Dig or Die)
I did this from a dead stop, Soon as my foot touched the plastic I was off, Car move faster then a Z06 through the 1st and 2nd gear (Joking), but the car just pulls and pulls.

I have the V3 tune ready I flash and will do so very soon. I do have a 4 month old and work so time is a bit limited.

If some of you wondering, I do have tons of money in suspension and bla bla bla, wider wheels (18s), sticky tires. I am in winter mode but will go full summer in a month. It's also going to be 71 this week , where did winter go in February.

Stay tuned for my updates on V3 form XRT.
NRRACING

Post by NRRACING »

V3 Tune

well I have been driving the car on V2 as you have read. I will be loading V3 tonight after work. we have some great 70 degree weather the next few days , so I will be doing some testing.

I am Also going to change my tranny fluid. It was changed about 1 and a half ago with Amsoil Synthetic, which made it shift like butter. It still shifts very smooth, but I think since I have some miles it should be changed. I might do the diffs also.
NRRACING

Post by NRRACING »

V3 - XRT Extreme Racing Tuning

So I loaded up V3 last night after work. I flashed the car, let it run and then went for a nice highway drive to the store with the family so I could not go hog wild.

From the start the car was even freaking better . the throttle was so much easier and 5 times better to use and very sensitive compared to the throttle controller had on my car.

Also the car seem to be so snappy on the take off, I mean when I touched the gas on the V2 tune it was a nice hole shot, but the V3 XRT tune is nasty from a dig. It almost like the car want to take off like Usain Bolt every time I give it some gas. I like this cause before the car was a slug so bad.

Note all my other pulls and runs were is 25-32 degree weather and yesterday it was 67 degrees . So I was very impressed on the way the car ran in this weather. Today it will be 73 so I am sure it will be great.

I got on the highway from a dead stop and gave it hell, the car shifted so damn fast out of first and was just pulling through second. I let out half way through at about 60 which was the speed limit and cruised controlled the whole way. I set it at 60 and saw a steady 26 mpg on flat land which is awesome.

I am very impressed how the 2.5i is running. I have had no issues, hick ups, problems or anything. Car is solid and strong. Now remember the car is still learning everything. So I like to put on at least 35-60 miles before I go nuts just to make sure all is well. I did send off a log to have checked to make sure all is well.

I do now have the V4 log , I here is supposed to be even more nasty then the V3 .

What's Next for future:

JDM Kakimoto Intake Chamber on the way( Including smooth T tube)
Clean MAF (just to make sure I do this twice a year)
AVO Panel (want tot test it out)
Change ATF (Amsoil Syn, I have it in there now shifts very smooth)
Change Oil (Amsoil SS, I have ran since I bought the car)
Tune After Chamber is on the car

Stay tuned for V4 and I have some vids to share.
NRRACING

Post by NRRACING »

So V4 was installed on the car and I have been driving around for a bit. I was not able to get to do much due to a sick kid all weekend. (life )

I will tell you this, the car is learning very well with the new tune, I went out for a drive to harbor freight, one the take off to the main highway the car shot of and shifted fast out of fist gear, into 2nd very well.

Also at slow speeds the car still shift smooth as butter. Before the tune the car would stumble a bit like it was confused. This are going great with the tune.

I will be loading V4-a and V4-b very soon. I did clean the MAF sensor, I am still going to be doing the list below soon. I had to work on my 06 Outback LTD this past weekend.

I do now have the V4-a and V4-b log , these are going to be tad better. we are getting to the end of tuning. well until the ram air setup and Intake chamber

What's Next for future:

JDM Kakimoto Intake Chamber on the way for japan(smooth T tube)
Clean MAF (Completed)
NRRACING

Post by NRRACING »

NOTE:
This was all on my winter tire setup, My wider 18"s with more grip world have been much better.

I still have to load up V4a and V4b, stay tuned
Last edited by NRRACING on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRRACING

Post by NRRACING »

XRT V4-b tuned installed:

So I installed the V4-b tune last night. I was just able to drive it this morning, after letting it idle and poke around my area.

Of the bat the Idle is much better, looks to be at 800 RPM which is perfect. Now with a much better idle the car take off even stronger.

It felt as if the car with the lower idle made it have to catch up be for it jumped off. I know it's hard to describe, so it you get a XRT tune you would know.

I am adding my Amsoil Dominator Octane booster to my gas tank today to see the logging difference. This will also let me see the nice gain in the graph if any with the product.

Here is a link to the Dominator and a small description to how it helps and works.:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...-octane-boost/

Maximizes power and improves performance in all two-cycle and four-cycle gasoline engines. Increases octane up to 4 numbers. Reduces engine knock, improves ignition and engine response, helps fuel burn cleaner and inhibits corrosion. Recommended for off-road and racing use.

I also run the P.I and saw how insanely clean my, pistons, valves, and intake port were when I pulled the motor.:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=APICN-EA

P.i. improves fuel mileage an average of 2.3% and up to 5.7%. Reduces emissions such as hydrocarbons (HC) up to 15%, carbon monoxide (CO) up to 26% and nitrous oxides (NOx) up to 17%. Restores power and performance. Reduces the need for costly higher octane fuel. (API)

What's Next for future:

JDM Kakimoto Intake Chamber on the way for japan(smooth T tube)
Clean MAF (Completed)
NRRACING

Post by NRRACING »

I just wanted to add that I have had nothing but great service from Ed at XRT (Extreme Racing tuning). I know I have posted about the tune revision versions and how the car is running and so on but I thought that it needed to be stated that his Customer service is top notch.

He is quick on his replies and always is willing to help. No question is dumb when it comes to the car. He always recommends things that can help, along with telling you if you have issues with the car that he can see while checking out logs.

I swear he never sleepsJ. If you’re looking to get a all around better running 2.5i, 3.0R or 3.6R N\A, XRT is the way to go. He also does Turbo car to. I really love his no BS way tuning.
To the fact that some peeps think it’s dumb to do things to a 2.5i, and that the car is this and that, well so be it. You can think what you like. But for people who start out with a 2.5i or other N\A, there is so much you can do.
NRRACING

Post by NRRACING »

V4b Tune:
I loaded the V4b tune from XRT and went out and was finally able to test, and get some logs. The car of course runs golden. Cause Ed is the N\A Master. I noticed a much better idle and also when doing logs the car seems to pull and pull and pull.
So I was able to get out Saturday night on the strip with this new tune. Got to play with a 240 (No turbo) after we both left the blvd to go home. he had exhaust that was nasty loud. I kind of liked it. It reminded me of my 04 STI cat-less exhaust. I had to go manual mode because he was 5MT. There was no issue with staying next to him. We just traded back and forth after that, no real race.

I now have V5 Loaded and will be testing it out. I still need to get some logs, get my Blackbird Ram air setup, and kakimoto chamber (on the way). I also and changing my oil to some Dominator series Friday night.

Stay tuned and if you N\A GET TUNED by XRT.
Last edited by NRRACING on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRRACING

Post by NRRACING »

Got a few miles on V5 so far, I have been busy with work, I will get some more updates soon. I am still waiting for some parts to come in and install.

V5:

Car is running great still. The weather is kind of weird here. 70 yesterday and sleet and rain today, so not fun
NRRACING

Post by NRRACING »

Car is still running good, power is much better as always. I am kind of in a holding pattern till I get the Intake setup going and Kakimoto Chamber in from Japan. I have some logs to get and then this part of tuning will be done.

Mean while I have purchased more bushing for the 2.5i. Yes this is not a power mod but for those with 2.5i this is something else you can add as a part to the car.

Whiteline Diff Mount cradle insert busing, I do have the full replacement but have to lower the subframe and press the whole bushing out. I will wait till it get warm and sue my buddies lift.
I will also be getting the tranny mount. It’s similar to rallitek one for the 2.5i 4eat. These should firm up the slop mounts, and improve the feel.

I also have changed the oil from Amsoil 5w-30 SS to the Amsoil Dominator 10w-30. This oil is better for higher RPM and shock loads. This is their race version. Since I am a dealer I called and talked to them about my car and what I was doing and this is what I decided on.

In case you wondering I have been a parts guys and Oil guy for years, so all the items bought for my car have been at a fraction of the price. So I have not been just burning money. I am going to write up another post about what I have done to the 2.5i here and post it in a few.