v3 vs Stock - 2nd Gear Dyno SAE + Review

Post by west_minist »

XRT v3 vs Stock - 2nd Gear Dyno SAE.png
XRT v3 vs Stock - 2nd Gear Dyno SAE.png (57.7 KiB) Viewed 13845 times
Subject: Re: v3
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 04:29:24 -0400
To: west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com

Okay Ed, here's my review.

When I first bought my car 9 months ago, I said I wasn't going to mod it. Here I am now, writing a review for Ed from XRT Tuning. Just in the last couple of days I've spent logging, re-flashing ROM's and talking with Ed, I've learned a great deal of knowledge. He's been a big help with this whole thing. I had a bit of trouble using the software but I eventually figured it out. I was nervous before, and still am sometimes about re-flashing my cars ECU, but Ed has assured me many times that "Your car will be okay :)" He's helped me pinpoint a few small issues with the car that he found after reviewing logs that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. After every logging event he would ask me input on how the car drove, how was the throttle and explain the changes he had made and what he could do tweak some things. There's no doubt that he knows what he's doing :) I had read the many reviews and talked to a few people before deciding to go ahead with this but I am overall very happy :) I would definitely would recommend.

As for the car, it's much more livelier. The sound of the engine has changed for the better. What used to be a cub with it's tiny growl, is now a grown Tiger, ready for the next Mustang owner to prey on. The throttle is more responsive than before and I'm in love with the torque. I enjoyed the car before but now it just wants to go go go. Like it's being pulled by team of sled dogs. We're still refining the tune but I think it's just about done. I take time looking over my logs afterwards and I can see the changes he's made to each ROM revision. After seeing what the stock logs look like and what they look like now, I know the car is running much smoother and happier than before, based on the numbers alone. This is just the beginning of this experience. I hope to keep working together in the future with whatever mods may happen. I've been slowly becoming more and more of a Subaru fan but now I have a tuner that I trust as much as the brand. Thanks for all the help thus far.
I am projecting this car will do around 15.83s in the 1/4.
west_minist
Site Admin

1/4 Mile Drag pull

Post by west_minist »

v3 3rd Gear power - Drag Pull.png
v3 3rd Gear power - Drag Pull.png (57.52 KiB) Viewed 13820 times
west_minist
Site Admin

Transmission review

Post by west_minist »

Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 2:40 AM
To: XRT
Subject: Re: Your review on the 5EAT

The indirect tuning that has been done to the 5EAT has made me love the car more. I used to drive in Auto all the time but now find myself often leaving it in manual and paddle shifting through the gears. It's not speedy quick but that's not the point for the general tune. It's a definite improvement over stock. It shifts much more smoothly and quickly. Downshifts are much more brisk and upshifts aren't as delayed. I don't really feel the car shifting anymore. It grabs much more efficiently and torque gets to the wheels quicker. I'm excited for Stage 1 or 2 someday.
west_minist
Site Admin

Legacygt.com review

Post by west_minist »

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php ... ostcount=4
I'd also like to chime in. I've been working with Ed for a good two weeks now and it's been nothing but a pleasure. He's quick to respond and the latest small tweaks that have been done to the tune we're back to me within the hour. He's helped me find issues with the car that I never would have thought to be there. It is on my fault for not replacing plugs. I had thought that being 10k miles under the change interval it wouldn't matter but not the case. It's a good idea to replace plugs before tuning, even on a low mileage car. What a difference it made for me.

Ed's been really helpful and supportive with the tuning. I had issues with getting the software to work but with his help and the help threads on the Rom Raider website I figured it out. When it came to flashing the ECU, I was nervous every time. It's not a project car that I'm working on. It's my ride to work everyday and for an issue to arise would be troubling. After learning what to do and what safeguards to take, I feel a lot more confident doing it. He assured me everything will be fine, even if any issues arise.

My car...is now a monster. I'm still with the stock exhaust but the car isn't anything like it was before. The engine sounds more aggressive, the 5EAT shifts quicker and smoother. The throttle lag is greatly reduced and now "twitchy". I don't use anything except the paddle shifters. It's now fun to drive and I want to go out to just cruise around. There's so much more potential with exhaust but for the price, it's definitely worth it. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy.

I've learned a great deal over the last two weeks and always still learning more. I read great reviews before deciding to jump on this but now here's a good review from myself as well. Ed is just like you and I, working for a living and doing what he likes to do. He shares the same passion for cars and does excellent work. The best part is he's always willing to check out the car after so long to make sure the car is running okay. Like a car doctor.

I should also note that there's a group for the XRT guys and they're a crazy, but helpful bunch as well.

I can't say any negatives about the XRT service. I hope to keep working together as time goes on. The car is not done yet. It's never done.
west_minist
Site Admin

Re: TimB - 2011 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.6 5EAT - Tuning

Post by west_minist »

v7 Drag Pull #1.png
v7 Drag Pull #1.png (16.59 KiB) Viewed 13429 times
v7 Drag Pull #2.png
v7 Drag Pull #2.png (20.65 KiB) Viewed 13429 times
west_minist
Site Admin

v8 Drag Pull Data

Post by west_minist »

v8 Drag Pull #1.png
v8 Drag Pull #1.png (14.71 KiB) Viewed 13413 times
v8 Drag Pull #2.png
v8 Drag Pull #2.png (19.7 KiB) Viewed 13413 times
west_minist
Site Admin

v8b1 - Drag Pull

Post by west_minist »

v8b1 Drag Pull - 3rd Gear.png
v8b1 Drag Pull - 3rd Gear.png (83.93 KiB) Viewed 13166 times
v8b1 Drag Pull #1.png
v8b1 Drag Pull #1.png (20.03 KiB) Viewed 13170 times
v8b1 Drag Pull #2.png
v8b1 Drag Pull #2.png (22.13 KiB) Viewed 13170 times
west_minist
Site Admin

v8c1 vs Stock - 2nd Gear Dyno SAE

Post by west_minist »

v8c1 vs Stock - 2nd Gear Dyno SAE.png
v8c1 vs Stock - 2nd Gear Dyno SAE.png (37.38 KiB) Viewed 13156 times
west_minist
Site Admin

Review

Post by west_minist »

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=11
Hello, probably a final post for awhile. Not much else to do until I get an exhaust welded up so the tuning is coming to an end, for now. Ed's been hard at work, sending revisions and I've been out, driving around like "The Stig" (not really) for the last week and a half or so, logging and reporting back with results. Ed's gotten the tune to a very good point. The power is now very linear. She pulls from the point of smashing the gas up until 6000RPM. 3rd gear has always shown more power and now it's a joy to drive around in. I'd be a politician if I said I wasn't happy :lol: I should note, my cars completely stock, include air filter aside from the 93 Octane BP gas that I use and the Nanotech Lubricants oil additive which I've been using since February. Which the additive definitely helps. Oh, I should also say that he does tweak the ECU in a what that indirectly affects the transmission. It's now shifting smooth and firm. As well as the sound of the exhaust is very nice. Doesn't sound like your grandma's Accord anymore, haha.

But anywho, I'd like to send out a big thanks to him for his help and to anyone, especially someone who drives an N/A, give XRT a try if you need an e-tune. The process is a bit time consuming but Rome wasn't built in a day and great things can't happen over night.

I'd also like to stress, a properly maintained car makes all the difference. High mileage plugs, dirty injectors, exhaust leaks, intake leaks, old intake air filters, all robbing the car of potential power and sometimes detrimental to the car itself. It really shows in the results I've been getting since day one.

Here is my latest quarter mile run. Still need to confirm time with a drag strip which I may do soon or springtime next year at the Test N' Tune Thursdays at a strip nearby.

Also my stock vs last ROM comparison. I'm a bit shocked as well. I'm gonna try to get on a dyno to compare the results and to see how 3rd gear looks through out the entire range. BTW, this is 2nd gear. Power is higher in 3rd because of gearing. You may have noticed on the quarter mile image.

Overall, very satisfied customer. Will be returning for a re-tune come exhaust time. I've got tires/wheels/suspension to workout as well as brakes before I start going faster.

Cheers